[VPN] Cisco 3015 conentrator

Dana J. Dawson djdawso at qwest.com
Thu Nov 13 13:35:07 EST 2003

In a more helpful vein, The 3000 has default filters on the public
interface that should do a reasonable job of restricting traffic to just
that used by the various VPN technologies it supports.  You can tighten
them down if you know you won't use a particular protocol, but you can't
remove the list if you want to terminate VPN's (though nothing stops you
from permitting all traffic through the filter, which would be a bad
thing to do).  However, these filters don't provide any DoS protection
to the 3000, so there would be a benefit in that regard in having an
external firewall, assuming it provided such protection.  I've not seen
any reports of a 3000 being hacked, but there was a vulnerability a
while back that could allow unintended traffic through the concentrator
but that's been fixed for a long time (I forget the details, but it'd be
easy to find on Cisco's site).  It's not a gaping hole in your security
if you don't protect with a firewall so I would argue that you don't
*need* a firewall in front of it.  The 3000 is, in fact, one of the
nicer VPN concentrators on the market in my opinion.  It's not perfect,
but nothing is.

HTH

Dana

Dana J. Dawson                     djdawso at qwest.com
Senior Staff Engineer              CCIE #1937
Qwest Communications               (612) 664-3364
600 Stinson Blvd., Suite 1S        (612) 664-4779 (FAX)
Minneapolis  MN  55413-2620

"Hard is where the money is."