[VPN] VPNs, bandwidths, and Citrix

Chris Lynch lynch00 at cox.net
Thu May 22 17:24:40 EDT 2003

Mike,

MetaFrame provides a way for users to access applications on a centralized
server.  It also dramatically reduces the overhead caused be data traversing
a slow link, by simulating a desktop or application in a remote location.
Have you ever used Terminal Services in Remote Administration mode on
Windows 2000 Server/Advanced Server or Windows Server 2003?  It's like
pcAnywhere, but quicker.  The ICA protocol is an optimized protocol to
provide a user with an interface back to am application over a slow link.
It's not to say that the ICA protocol isn't for a LAN environment.  In fact,
the more bandwidth, the better the session appears.

If you have any further specific questions, feel free to email me offline.

Chris Lynch, MCSE CCNA CCEA
Lynch00 at cox.net