[VPN] VPNs, bandwidths, and Citrix

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Thu May 22 16:32:36 EDT 2003

Typically, client/server database applications send very little data,
since most of the processing is done by a database server like Microsoft
SQL Server. However, there are a few horrible file-based (think .MDB or
.DBF files) or even worse cursor-on-top-of-SQL based systems out there
that really soak up network bandwidth. You need to make sure your
application is really the bandwidth hog before you go investing in
anything else. Can th eapplication be re-written? What is the back-end
database platform?

A terminal server like Citrix or the more basic Windows Terminal
Services basically runs the client appliction in a virtual screen on a
box on your network, and all that gets sent over the VPN are visible
changes from this virtual screen. This is typically very efficient in
terms of bandwidth. I would first try the basic Windows Terminal Service
built into Windows 2000/3 server, and then only move up to the more
expensive Citrix if need be. You can run the base Win2k terminal
services without any licenses for 90 days as a test to see if it really
helps things.

Ryan Malayter
Sr. Network & Database Administrator
Bank Administration Institute
Chicago, Illinois, USA
PGP Key: http://www.malayter.com/pgp-public.txt
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the courtesy to thank
her.
     -W.C. Fields