[VPN] VPNs, bandwidths, and Citrix

Michael D'Alto mdalto at sflawish.org
Wed May 21 15:43:35 EDT 2003

I have a couple of very basic questions about VPN management.  I just
recently started as a SysAdmin for a small non-profit that used to out
source most of its IT.  I worked in technical support on the client side of
a large university network, so I'm farely computer literate and capable but
a neubie to small office environments, system administration etc.

We currently have three employees accessing a centrally located database
over a VPN through a Watchguard Firebox system.  The performance is
horrendous due to the amount of data being sent back and forth.  It has been
suggested that we install a Citrix Metaframe system to drastically reduce
the amount of data being sent.  Two questions come to mind that I was hoping
someone could help me with:

Are three users on a VPN the bottleneck, such that a Citrix installation
will not drastically help.
What is the bandwidth over a VPN, how is it shared and maximized?
Am I correct in assuming that Citrix helps this only by reducing the amount
of data being sent over the VPN?

Thank you so much in advance!

Sincerely,

Michael D'Alto

Michael D'Alto
Technology and Research Coordinator
Make-A-Wish Foundation of Southern Florida
PO Box 17377
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33318
954.967.9474 ext. 314
954.987.2468 fax
If you know of a child with a life-threatening medical condition, please
call
Great Course. Great Partners. Great Cause. The 17th Annual Make-A-Wish Golf
Classic