[VPN] SonicWall - Passing DNS settings to VPN clients?

shannong shannong at texas.net
Sat May 17 00:48:40 EDT 2003

I would agree with Jose in general...get a real VPN capable firewall.
Although, if you're goal is VPN capabilities in a firewall, Checkpoint
and Cisco are much more attractive.  These vendors' VPN clients include
a firewall on the client side that can be controlled when the session is
established.  The firewall can be turned on, inbound/outbound rules
established, and the VPN client is told what traffic should be sent to
the firewall vs. what should be sent out the "normal" Internet
connection, filters can be established per user/group, and you can use
certificates and other two-factor authentication schemes.  The Cisco
client also has the advantage of only resolving DNS domains across the
tunnels that are defined by the VPN terminator.  All others go to the
"normal" DNS server of the Internet client.

-Shannon