[VPN] Checkpoint NG FP3 and Firewall Module

Carl Friedberg friedberg at comets.com
Sun May 11 16:41:31 EDT 2003

I hope you have enterprise level Checkpoint support available. Personally, I would recommend you research alternatives to NG. I personally suspect those letters really mean Not Good (quality of support, code, etc). Just my 2 cents.

I have been involved with similar types of issues (FP3 upgrade failed, thereafter the system is fundamentally unstable, can't apply FP2 paches, can't upgrade to FP3).

I wonder if it is just the cluster with a management station that has these problems, or if they are more widespread. Interestingly enough, the FW to FW VPN seems to work well...

Have you looked into a Cisco PIX? Or, if you are technically capable, would IPTables/Netfilter (Linux) or BSD IPFilter work for you? with FreeSWAN for VPN? or CIPE?

BTW, is this a SecuRemote question? If not, you should join FirewallWizards or similar and post there; there are probably more people who are FW1 experts.

Carl