[VPN] First VPN

David Wurzburg wurzuh at northnet.org
Thu May 1 16:10:27 EDT 2003

Hey all,

I'm attempting to set up a VPN.  The host is a 2000 server op system - and is connected to a LAN.  I'm running into problems though.  Our fractional T1 enters the building on an ADTRAN voice/IP box.  It then is directed to a router, and continues to be distributed over the LAN.

I've tried a few times to configure VPN - all failures.  If I use the make a new connection wizard for the host, I get a certification error when trying to connect from a client.  If I use the Rmote access and Routing wizard for the host, I get a no answer when trying to connect from a client.

Do I need two seperate NICs for the server?  or what am I doing wrong?  Do I need to purchase/create a certificate, or will it work without one?

Thanks for your help,
Dave