[VPN] MSN Messenger Video Conference

DePriest, Jason R. jrdepriest at ftb.com
Mon Mar 31 17:25:42 EST 2003

If it is using the same underlying technology as Netmeeting (which I imagine
it is), here are some instructions I received from a vendor about two years
ago and getting it working.

Here are the directions:

  Setting Up NetMeetings Through a Firewall

  When you use NetMeeting to establish a connection over the Internet,
  NetMeeting uses several IP ports to communicate with other meeting
  participants. If you use a firewall to connect to the Internet, the
firewall
  must be configured so that the ports used by NetMeeting are not blocked.

  NetMeeting uses the following Internet Protocol (IP) ports:
     Port      Purpose
     -------------------------------------
     389       Internet Locator Server [Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)]

     522       User Location Server (TCP)
     1503      T.120 (TCP)
     1720      H.323 call setup (TCP)
     1731      Audio call control (TCP)
     Dynamic   H.323 call control (TCP)
     Dynamic   H.323 streaming [Realtime Transport Protocol (RTP) over User
  Datagram Protocol (UDP)]

  To establish outbound NetMeeting connections through a firewall, the
  firewall must be configured to do the following:
  *       Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 522, 389, 1503, 1720

  and 1731.
  *       Pass through secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned
ports
  (1024-65535).
  NOTE: Some firewalls are capable of passing through TCP connections on
  specific ports, but are not capable of passing through secondary UDP
  connections on dynamically assigned ports. When you establish NetMeeting
  connections through these firewalls, you are unable to use the audio
  features of NetMeeting.

  In addition, some firewalls are capable of passing through TCP connections

  on specific ports and secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned
  ports, but are not capable of virtualizing an arbitrary number of internal

  IP addresses, or are not capable of doing so dynamically. With these
  firewalls, you are able to establish NetMeeting connections from computers

  inside the firewall to computers outside the firewall and you are able to
  use the audio features of NetMeeting, but you are unable to establish
  connections from computers outside the firewall to computers inside the
  firewall.

  The H.323 call setup protocol (over port 1720) dynamically negotiates a
TCP
  port for use by the H.323 call control protocol. Also, both the audio call

  control protocol (over port 1731) and the H.323 call setup protocol (over
  port 1720) dynamically negotiate User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports for
use
  by the H.323 streaming protocol, called the real time protocol (RTP). In
  NetMeeting, two ports are determined on each side of the firewall for
audio
  and video streaming. These dynamically negotiated ports are selected
  arbitrarily from all ports that can be assigned dynamically.

  NetMeeting directory services require either port 389 or port 522,
depending
  on the type of server you are using. Internet Locator Servers (ILSs),
which
  support the lightweight directory access protocol (LDAP) for NetMeeting
2.0
  or later, require port 389. User Location Servers (ULSs), developed for
  NetMeeting 1.0, require port 522.