[VPN] ADSL VPN

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Wed Mar 5 16:34:49 EST 2003

Sounds like there is too much traffic contending for the available
bandwidth. The problem may not even lie with congestion on your ADSL or
leased line, but rather on the internet path between the two.

I would suggest looking at some trace routes between the two
destinations to see where the delays and dropped packets are occurring.
You need to do this outside of the Ipsec tunnel, of course.

A good tool for this sort of analysis is available at
http://VisualRoute.com, or you can use the tools built into your
operating systems. Sometimes firewall rules block these ICMP packets, so
you might have to tweak your rules to get meaningful trace routes.

After you know where the delays and dropped packets are occurring on the
network, complain to the relevant ISP.

Ryan Malayter
Sr. Network & Database Administrator
Bank Administration Institute
Chicago, Illinois, USA
PGP Key: http://www.malayter.com/pgp-public.txt
I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the
great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
     -Sir Winston S. Churchill