[VPN] VPN Via Satellite

george paine gpaine at v-one.com
Wed Jun 25 17:53:53 EDT 2003

Rick Salisko <saliskor at cyberus.ca> inquired:

> Has anyone attempted to implement a client to gateway vpn over a
> directPC satellite service?
>
> The service requires you to use your own ISP for uploads and
> downloads via a direct satellite link.
>
> I am using a nortel contivity 1700 and nortel 4.56 client software.
> The Nortel box is running 4.70.119. I have been able to successfully
> negotiate a session, however when activity begins within the tunnel,
> the nortel box logs a user disconnect.
>
> any ideas ?

   for satellite connections, TCP accelerators spoof the protocol and
provide decent throughput but only for TCP, not IP -- IPSec can't
take advantage of this feature and the latency will pretty much kill
the connection.  it's just a long way out to geosynch and back.

   TCP acceleration is available for anything above the lowest-end
Hughes consumer unit.  most other satellite carriers also support
this feature.  an application-level proxy based VPN can make use of
it to provide very good throughput.  for a particular approach see

      http://www.v-one.com/smartsat.html

like anything else it's a trade off between functionality and
performance, but worth checking out.

--
George T. Paine
V-ONE Corp. - Security for a Connected World
   gpaine at v-one.com
   +1 301 515 5260
   +1 301 641 4277 mobile