[VPN] Cisco VPN questions

Dana J. Dawson djdawso at qwest.com
Wed Jun 18 11:39:15 EDT 2003

The crypto map thing is essentially a quirk of IOS from what I hear from Cisco,
so there's not a lot of logic behind it.  Also, you can apply the crypto map to
just the tunnel interface and run IPSec through the GRE tunnel rather than the
more common GRE through IPSec.  This isn't an officially supported
configuration, but it works and is sometimes handy.  According to one of the
senior Cisco TAC engineers who works on VPN stuff it should continue to work for
the foreseeable future.

I just tried the "match address" command in a box running 12.1(13) and it
appears to support named access lists, so that would eliminate the 100 list
limit if you can't or don't want to run DMVPN.  If you're interested in learning
more about DMVPN, here's a URL that describes it that's not too bad:

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014bcd7.shtml>

HTH

Dana

Dana J. Dawson                     djdawso at qwest.com
Senior Staff Engineer              CCIE #1937
Qwest Communications               (612) 664-3364
600 Stinson Blvd., Suite 1S        (612) 664-4779 (FAX)
Minneapolis  MN  55413-2620

"Hard is where the money is."