[VPN] CryptoCluster 2500 Recover Mode doesn't work

Joel Snyder Joel.Snyder at Opus1.COM
Tue Jun 10 21:40:51 EDT 2003

 >   We've recently acquired two CryptoCluster 2500's with working flash
cards
 > and kernel images.

You need to boot into a valid kernel.  When you boot the system up
without the flash in it, you should get a Boot: prompt.  Push the FLASH
back in.  Then use "*" to give a list of valid files on the FLASH.  Pick
one of the kernels (a filename ending in .SR, probably something like
cc-v4.0-1.sr) and boot that file with a "-w" switch at the end, meaning
"run the configuration wizard."  The Configuration Wizard blasts out all
the valid configuration files and then the next time you boot your box
it should be all minty tasting and factory fresh.

There is no way to 'discover' or 'recover' the password which will work
on those boxes (short of a dictionary attack).

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Phone: +1 520 324 0494 (voice)  +1 520 324 0495 (FAX)