[VPN] nortel vpn

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Jul 31 08:37:39 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 03:57:19AM -0700, Jac wrote:
> Hmmm Let's see. The only client Nortel provides with
> the Contivity is the windows version. And they provide
> it for free. The other OS versions are third party
> clients (Not Contivity Client) and you can get them
> through Nortel as the reseller, but Nortel doesn't own
> them or distribute them with the Contivity.
>
> ERGO they give away the Contivity client for free.

Ah, we are going to play semantics.  Since you did only say they gave
away "theirs" for free, you are perfectly correct.  The ones that they
have on their page for $$$, making no distinction between them and the
one that is theirs, is in fact not truly "theirs".

But the question you asked was, why would they want to create another
client when Nortel gives [the client] away for free?  Besides the sheer
joy of creation [see Mind of the Maker, Dorothy Sayers, if you are not
familiar with this ;-)], the client that is free only runs on one
limited family of operating systems.  And it is only "free" in the
monetary sense, which matters a lot to some people.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B