[VPN] Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator and RADIUS

David Goldsmith dgoldsmith at sans.org
Fri Jan 24 14:20:37 EST 2003

I have a Cisco 3015 VPN Concentrator loaded with software version 3.6.7.  Using
Internal authentication, I am able to have a client connect to the VPN and
establish a tunnel.

I am now trying to setup RADIUS authentication.  The public interface of the
VPN is in the DMZ network.  The RADIUS server is also in the DMZ.  From the CLI,
I can successfully ping the RADIUS server.  I have defined a RADIUS auth
server using port 1812.  When I try the 'Test' option to see if RADIUS auth is
working, I get a timeout error that the server is unreachable.  Running sniffers
on both the external and internal network segments reveals NO RADIUS traffic
leaving the VPN.

The following article from Cisco shows a similar configuration with the RADIUS
server in the DMZ in front of the VPN so this should work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2086/ (URL wraps)
products_configuration_example09186a0080094a03.shtml

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave Goldsmith