[VPN] SSL "VPNs"

Siddhartha Jain losttoy2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 00:51:09 EST 2003

VPN SSL is more of a marketing gimmick. SSL has been
used for a long time for secure access to web sites
and its a good thing if you only want to give users
access to the web site.

I was surprised to see that most vendors use the SSL
Proxy appliance to only proxy HTTPS and don't have the
flexibility to wrap any protocol like SSLWrapper (see
freshmeat.net). If they do that (which IMHO is a very
simple task) then the offering of a SSL Proxy
Appliance is much better.

In terms of authentication, Rainbow Technologies has a
good product. It integrates with their USB Token. So
if you plug out the token, the SSL session times out
instantly.