[VPN] Where is my network?

William D McNeese 079928 at exchange.win.lanl.gov
Wed Feb 5 09:57:11 EST 2003

The two routers involved "block" the broadcasts that are necessary for
the NetBIOS broadcasts to propagate between the two networks, therefore
"clicking on network neighborhood" will be un-reliable at best and
incomplete all the time.  The real issue here is name resolution across
multiple subnets (the subnets are essentially defined by the router
placement).  One critical question would be "are these machines members
of a common domain, or are they in work groups?"   If they are in
workgroups I'm not sure how the issue can be resolved easily.  If they
are in a domain (NT VS WIN2K) there are some solutions.  If they are in
workgroups, the lmhosts file may be your best answer, however there are
some syntactical issues to be aware of.

An lmhosts file is read upon boot and when needed for name resolution.
It isn't read when you double click on network neighborhood.  To get the
machines to appear in network neighborhood you need to use the #PRE
extension in the lmhosts syntax.  For example:

192.168.0.1  mymachinename #PRE
192.168.0.2  mynextmachine #PRE

This will pre load the information into the NetBIOS name cache upon
boot.  Make sure you have checked the box that indicates you want to use
an lmhosts file.

Some other syntactical issues.  The #PRE is case sensitive.  There must
be at least 1 space between the parameters on a line (it can be a tab or
multiple spaces). There must be a carriage return, line feed at the end
of the last entry.

Since the #PRE entries only get read upon boot, you either need to
reboot after making a change to the lmhosts file or issue the command
nbtstat -R (the R is case sensitive).  This should purge and reload the
NetBIOS name cache.

Keep in mind that Microsoft is trying to get rid of NetBIOS (this is why
it is so hard to find network neighborhood on XP).  XP still supports
it, however some of these steps may be a little more difficult to
implement on XP (for example I'm not sure where the "Use lmhosts" option
is).

Let me know if this helps!