[VPN] VNC over VPN, security considerations?

Galeotos, John john.galeotos at us.army.mil
Mon Dec 15 12:56:14 EST 2003

	Hello,

	Well again normally I just sit back and read what you all have to
say, but I've
	got another question. For the most part our VPN is up and functional
without
	anything more for me to do except load the cisco client software on
to the
	machines of the converts. Recently however I have been looking at
uses I could
	have for the VPN aside from answering my Emails on my days off.

	One of the software products I use on occasion is VNC for remote
control access
	and installs of patches, and the like. It looks as if when I do a
search for ports
	and VNC I get as many hits telling me that ports 5800 and
5900+display# are the
	ones used as I get "VNC port firewall, viren, hackertools, and
exploits." This does
	not give me a warm fuzzy about opening those ports so that I could
use VNC
	over the VPN.

	So my question is simply: "What are the considerations and
mitigating steps
	that I could take if we decided to open these ports up? Or...is it
simply a very
	bad idea?

	Thanks for your time. I'll go back to reading for the most part
again.

	John Galeotos