[VPN] IPSEC or PPTP over Nextel Packetstream Gold

Jim Atherton jim.atherton at netifice.com
Tue Apr 15 11:58:01 EDT 2003

I need a mobile connectivity solution that supports either (I would like
both and prefer IPSEC) IPSEC (Specifically Cisco VPN client 3.5.x or later)
or PPTP (via Windows 2000 native PPTP). I need to connect to a Cisco VPN
3000 hardware client. I looked into this last year and actually tested with
Nextel and neither worked and the guys at Nextel didn't know why. I ran
across an old mail archive here that said that the compression used by
Nextel Packetstream Gold used a compression technology that precluded use of
IPSEC and that this would change sometime in the last quarter of 2002. Does
anyone have any info about the current or near term status of this product?
My company sells a set of VPN products and services and a useful mobile
wireless VPN solution is needed. Before Richocet crashed we did some stuff
with them. But since then we have had no wireless mobile solution. If there
are any other cost effective mobile wireless solutions out there I would
like to know. Personally, I need connectivity via my laptop and a can accept
speeds of around 28.8 (true speed) but would like higher speeds. Lower, more
expensive solutions are not currently acceptable. I cannot for instance use
some sort of high speed satellite connection due to cost.

Thanks for any info.