[VPN] FreeS/WAN and backup lines

Luca Fornasari luca.fornasari at easybit.it
Wed Sep 11 03:32:20 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I have recently installed a VPN using two Linux machine each one
connected to the internet through a provider managed router; on the two
Linux machines I intsalled FreeS/WAN and configured it properly. Now is
all ok
The customer is now asking for a backup; I told him that the best
solution is to have ISDN backup at the routers, so no new configuration
is needed for FreeS/WAN but he insist to have a new connection through
another provider on just one side of the tunnel.
Now my question is: can FreeS/WAN have multiple tunnels for the same
destination *using different interfaces*?
Can I use iproute with FreeS/WAN?
The setup could be like this:

192.168.10.0/24---1|ALinux-FreeS/WAN|PubIPA----Router------Internet--\

 |2ndPubIPA                   /              |

 \------------2ndRouter/                |

   192.168.20.0/24 ------1|BLinux-FreeS/WAN|PubIPB------Router-------- /

Thanks for your time
Luca Fornasari