[VPN] Freeware IPSec Client

venicio_boas at br.schindler.com venicio_boas at br.schindler.com
Fri Nov 8 13:30:33 EST 2002

Dear ladies and gentlemen

      Would you mind giving me some information about  my basic questions
about VPN ?

I am look forward to hearing from you, and thank you in advance.

Best regards

Venicio Vilas-Bôas
Elevadores Atlas Schindler S/A
Tel. 55 11 6120-5431
----- Forwarded by Venicio Boas/IS/SAO/SCHINDLER on 08/11/2002 15:16 -----

                      "James Russell"
                      <jwrussell70 at hotm        To:       venicio_boas at br.schindler.com
                      ail.com>                 cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [VPN] Freeware IPSec Client
                      08/11/2002 13:24

Venico,

I am not familiar enough with the Windows VPN solution to answer your
questions.  I think I know enough to say, however, that you could use just
Windows to do a site-to-site VPN, but you will not get good performance.
It
would be better to use hardware if the VPN connection will be heavily used.
It would be best to ask the group though.

The address is  vpn at lists.shmoo.com

James

>From: venicio_boas at br.schindler.com
>To: "James Russell" <jwrussell70 at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [VPN] Freeware IPSec Client
>Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:37:33 -0300
>

>Dear James
>
>          I have some basic doubts about VPN. I sent a e-mail to :
>vpn at securityfocus.com and vpn at lists.shmoo.com but I don´t know whether
they
>are the correct address for sending VPN questions. Early I changed
>information about VPN sending e-mails to vpn at securityfocus.com and receive
>answers. But nowadays which is the correct e-mail listing ? I don´t know.
>
>I would like to ask you about my questions. If you can help me, I will be
>thankful for it.
>
>My questiosn are:
>
>1)Can I use Windows 2000 for building a VPN S2S  without use hardware
>equipment such as Cisco concentrator ?
>What are advantages and disadvantage in both cases ?
>
>  2) Can I use Windows 2000 for building RA VPN (Remote Access VPN)
without
>use Cisco client  in connection Cisco concentrator or for example solution
>based in Alladin software  ( Alladin software permits to build RA VPN with
>Microsoft CA certificates and tokens where it is possible to store the
>privates keys) for  it ?
>Why to use Alladin client to connect Microsft Certificate ? Can I use a
>solution purely Microsoft ?
>Do you know companies examples which implement RA VPN only using Microsft
>solution ?
>What are advantage and disadvantages in both cases ?
>
>In summary is it possible to build RA VPN using a solution purely
Microsoft