[vpn] metrics for vpn sessions

Stephen Hope Stephen.Hope at energis.com
Wed Mar 27 08:13:31 EST 2002

Phil,

i suspect the answer is still "it depends".

You should design to the throughput and simultaneous user limits you need,
and size box and Internet feed to suit - if you are lucky you will even have
some numbers!

There is no intrinsic limit to the minimum bandwidth used per user or tunnel
- broadband users may be able to hit 1 Mbps instantaneous throughput, but
since most bradband systems have 50:1 contention ratios built in, the
average is likely to be much less. BTW - campus networks have similar design
contention ratios, so this isnt really a remote access specific constraint.

If you are using a hardware encryption engine of some sort, then they
typically have 2 separate sets of limits - CPU + throughput as
"performance", and memory tables etc for each "context" - which equates to
tunnels or user limits.

Often hardware accelerators use unusual versions of memory (which equals
expensive), or have memory built into an ASIC, so this can be a limited
resource that cannot be expanded.

Software based encryption should have less stringent limits on memory, so
CPU performance dominates.

Both limits may be increased by adding hardware - either rack and stack the
boxes (which may be much easier if there are load balancing hooks in the
box), or by allowing multiple hardware encryption engines in a box.

Often you get to choose - ie. in the Cisco VPN 3000 range you can get a
software only box, or 1 which can take up to 4 hardware encryptors, with
0,1,2, or 3 fitted.

regards

Stephen

Stephen Hope C. Eng, Senior Network Consultant,
stephen.hope at energis.com,
Energis UK, WWW: http://www.energis.com
Carrington Business Park, Carrington, Manchester , UK. M31 4ZU
Tel: +44 (0)161 776 4194 Mob: +44 (0)780 002 2626 Fax: +44 (0)161 776
4189

This e-mail is from Energis plc, 50 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y 0DE, United
Kingdom, No: 2630471.

This e-mail is confidential to the addressee and may be privileged. The views
expressed are personal and do not necessarily reflect those of Energis. If you are not
the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately by calling our switchboard on
+44 (0) 20 7206 5555 and do not disclose to another person or use, copy or forward
all or any of it in any form.