[vpn] metrics for vpn sessions

Sandy Harris sandy at storm.ca
Tue Mar 26 22:15:55 EST 2002

Phil McGarr wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been asked the following question:
> What metrics are companies using when the say "1,000 concurrent VPN
> tunnels?"
>
> This spawned some of my own questions:
> Is the number of concurrent tunnels possible limited by bandwidth to the VPN
> server rather than some algorithmic restriction?
> Are VPN companies arbitrarily restricting the number of tunnels so that they
> can sell upgraded versions when people need to allow more users onto their
> VPN network?

I'm not sure it'll be much help, but there's some related info
and a bunch of links at:
http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.95/doc/performance.html

Ask off-list and I can send you a more current version.

The only important change is a link to some user benchmarks indicating
that replacing 3DES with AES roughly doubles IPsec throughput. These
are preliminary results; we don't yet have enough data to be precise
or confident about this.