[vpn] VPN and Browsing at Same Time

Stephen Hope Stephen.Hope at energis.com
Fri Mar 8 04:38:16 EST 2002

Eddie,

this is usually a choice when the VPN is set up - it can be turned off or
on.

the capability is known as "split tunnelling" - i.e. whether your local
Internet access is available or not when the VPN connection is active.
Stopping you accessing Internet and VPN at the same time improves security
for the corporate network.

However, it sounds like it isnt working properly anyway - if split
tunnelling is forbidden, then normally the enterprise network should provide
you with DNS etc and also Internet access (ie your traffic goes across the
VPN to them, then out to the Internet there).

So you have either a deliberately crippled connection, or it is
misconfigured - talk to the VPN admin people to find out what is supposed to
happen, and then get the relevant bit fixed.

regards

Stephen

Stephen Hope C. Eng, Senior Network Consultant,
stephen.hope at energis.com,
Energis UK, WWW: http://www.energis.com
Carrington Business Park, Carrington, Manchester , UK. M31 4ZU
Tel: +44 (0)161 776 4194 Mob: +44 (0)780 002 2626 Fax: +44 (0)161 776
4189

This e-mail is from Energis plc, 50 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y 0DE, United
Kingdom, No: 2630471.

This e-mail is confidential to the addressee and may be privileged. The views
expressed are personal and do not necessarily reflect those of Energis. If you are not
the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately by calling our switchboard on
+44 (0) 20 7206 5555 and do not disclose to another person or use, copy or forward
all or any of it in any form.