[vpn] CVPN 3.5 - IOS v12.1(7a) + FTP tests strange (maybe not) results

Dana J. Dawson djdawso at qwest.com
Wed Jun 26 13:15:35 EDT 2002

Ahmed Benallegue wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up an IPSec tunnel between a Laptop running Cisco VPN
> Client 3.5 on Windows 2000 and a Cisco router 7140 running IOS 2.1(7a)E6
> but I haven't succeded so far.
> I tried everything: preshared keys, dynamic maps... The point is that
> all the configuration examples I have found so far (mainly on
> cisco.com) use Cisco IOS v12.2(8)T. So do I have to update my IOS to
> this version or is there any other configuration possibility?

The Cisco 3.x client is first supported in 12.2(8)T, so you will have to upgrade
your router to use that client.  Even then, however, IOS does not yet support
the full feature set of the 3.x client, most notably the IPSec through NAT
feature.  For that reason I usually recommend that people use PPTP with MPPE
encryption instead of the the Cisco IPSec clients to terminate remote access
VPN's in a Cisco router or Cisco PIX, since it works fine through NAT (assuming
your NAT device supports PPTP/IPSec pass through, which most of them do today).

Good luck!

Dana

Dana J. Dawson                     djdawso at qwest.com
Senior Staff Engineer              CCIE #1937
Qwest Global Services              (612) 664-3364
Qwest Communications               (612) 664-4779 (FAX)
600 Stinson Blvd., Suite 1S
Minneapolis  MN  55413-2620

"Hard is where the money is."