[vpn] Site-to-site VPNs to same networks

Stephen Hope Stephen.Hope at energis.com
Mon Jul 15 07:31:16 EDT 2002

Tina,

I have built a couple of "extranet" style systems like this over the couple
of years, for remote monitoring and for travel, so I stumbled across the
same issue.

The solution we came up with is to design out the problem.

In the systems I was involved in, all the customers had to talk to common
central servers.

It isnt well known, but the Internet address allocation rules do not require
that you use allocated address space for an Internet connected network - all
you need is a justification for needing unique addresses - and this kind of
requirement is a classic use of such.

So, we got some Internet allocated address space and used that for the
common network. That way, anyone who conflicts trying to use address space
we "own", so they need to change.

Stephen