[vpn] Site-to-site VPNs to same networks

Natasha Smith natasha at espace.net
Wed Jul 10 19:52:19 EDT 2002

Q8 in the FAQ touches on this slightly, but generally I don't think
the FAQ adresses this.

The original idea was that this situation would exist -- the example
was one of the ANX problems -- Bob Moskowitz used to tell us that
Chrysler used 10.x.x.x addresses to talk to Isuzu in the same address range.

The answer, hopefully, was that the VPN gateway did NAT also.  So
the packets would be NAT-translated "at each end of the VPN tunnel".
So, as a user, the trick would be to obtain two VPN gateways that
had NAT properly integrated.  Then, you'd configure each end to
"talk to the public-equivalent address of the other end".

The VPNC web site probably doesn't address this -- specifically, use
or type of use of NAT is not listed in the features page.