[vpn] Dynamic IP & Branch-office VPN Tunnels

Scott Penno scott.penno at gennex.com.au
Tue Jul 2 22:39:04 EDT 2002

IPSec from a device with a dynamic address [branch] to a device with a
fixed IP address [central] is indeed supported as part of the standard.
Where multiple IPSec policies exist on the central site VPN device, some
form of identification [the ID field within the negotiation] is required
to ensure that the correct IPSec policy is selected for the remote device.
I believe this is exactly the scenario being used by the Netscreen device
and that I've experienced with devices from other vendors including Allied
Telesyn and TimeStep and client software from SafeNet and TimeStep

Scott.