[vpn] OpenBSD VPN compatiblity with other commercial VPNs

Sandy Harris sandy at storm.ca
Mon Jan 21 12:50:20 EST 2002

Dan McGinn-Combs wrote:

> I recently set up a VPN between OpenBSD (3.0) and Checkpoint (4.1). It
> worked without any hassles. I was pleasantly surprised since my previous
> experience was with FreeSwan on RedHat. As good as it is, FreeSwan's step
> one is "recompile and reinstall your kernel." That wasn't something I really
> wanted to do, and it was complex enough... All I really wanted was a VPN!

We're working on that.

Currently you can download RPMs for Redhat 7.1 with FreeS/WAN 1.91 from:
http://rpms.steamballoon.com/freeswan/

That work is being integrated into the FreeS/WAN build process. Currently,
all it does is allow you to do the whole complex FreeS/WAN install on one
machine and then use that machine to build RPMs to install on your other
machines. That's quite handy if you need to install on a dozen firewalls,
but not much use otherwise.

Pre-compiled RPMs should become available on the FreeS/WAN FTP site Real
Soon Now.

Of course, you can avoid the whole problem by just using a distribution
with FreeS/WAN built in. Here's a list:
http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.94/doc/intro.html#products

I'm not sure Debian should be on that list. It is commented out in the
source, became visible due to a bug in the HTML processing.