[vpn] Building Linux VPNs

Tina Bird tbird at precision-guesswork.com
Wed Feb 27 13:51:13 EST 2002

Hi all -- We occasionally get questions about good
books on VPN technologies.  Well, New Riders has just
released a new book on Linux-based VPN implementations.
This book rocks.  Here's my Amazon review:

"I moderate the Virtual Private Networks mailing list on SecurityFocus.
There aren't very many good books on VPNs, and those that are reasonable
tend to be more focused on protocols and specifications, and less on how
to get the darn things up and running. Oleg and Brian lay out the
different choices in terms of technical architectures, helping the readers
pick which solution is best for their needs. They provide great info on
getting things up and working -- lots of examples -- and hurrah, lots of
tips for troubleshooting. If you have to deploy a VPN and you want to do
it quickly, inexpensively and securely, BUY THIS BOOK."

The authors are Oleg Kolesnikov & Brian Hatch.  You can
check it out at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578702666/qid=1014839623/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-0902322-5103054

I receive no compensation for my rave comments -- Brian
is a friend of mine, but it's a great book even if you
don't know the authors.

cheers -- tbird