[vpn] Cisco VPN Products

Dana J. Dawson djdawso at qwest.com
Mon Feb 11 12:26:18 EST 2002

dave.goldsmith at intelsat.com wrote:
> Next:  The product literature for the Cisco PIX 506 (SOHO device) says that
> it supports 4 simultaneous tunnels.  The PIX 515 supports 400.  Usually, I
> have seen the IKE negotiation be counted as 1 tunnel and each ESP SA
> established to distinct internal hosts/networks be counted as individual
> tunnels.  Is that the defintion that Cisco is using or do they mean that the
> Cisco PIX 506 can be tunneled to up to 4 distinct VPN end-points at once
> (with access to unlimited network segments behind the end-points?

By tunnels they mean remote peers in this case, not individual SA's.  Also, as
of PIX software version 6.1, the number of peers the 506 supports is increased
from 4 to 25.  You find find this in any of the release notes, but after
prodding some of our local Cisco people I got this information indirectly from
the PIX product manager.

HTH

Dana

Dana J. Dawson                     djdawso at qwest.com
Senior Staff Engineer              CCIE #1937
Qwest Global Services              (612) 664-3364
Qwest Communications               (612) 664-4779 (FAX)
600 Stinson Blvd., Suite 1S
Minneapolis  MN  55413-2620

"Hard is where the money is."