[vpn] vpn advantages over a wan

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Tue Feb 5 19:22:12 EST 2002

At one end, we used a Nokia IP-series appliance with Firewall-1/VPN-1
software from Checkpoint. At the other end, we used a much cheaper,
easier-to-use, but less flexible SonicWall Pro-VX device. We got an IPsec
tunnel up between the two in an hour or so using shared secrets.

Both devices include triple-DES encryption coprocessors, and we actually
seems to get the full throughput that the 6 Mbps bottleneck connection we
have at one site can offer. A late-night bidirectional FTP between the two
sites runs consistently at more than 90% of wire speed. The encryption
coprocessors are probably not even necessary at our current line speeds, but
they were included in the firewall models we wanted. The Firewall/VPN
devices can supposedly handle more than 45 Mbps of encrypted traffic, so if
we have to go T3 someday or add more sites, I guess we're covered.

We also had an esoteric problem with a Tiara router that caused us some VPN
problems, but Qwest fixed it as soon as they could, even flying in a Tiara
tech from points west to make it happen. And as I mentioned previously,
we've had four-nines uptime ever since. Our SLA with Qwest guarantees
throughput, latency, and uptime on their network, so our VPN is covered by
that agreement.

It's expensive compared with a do-it-yourself VPN using cheaper ISPs and the
general internet, but we have someone to get right on top of any problems,
and we get money back when the service level agreement is broken. And it's
still cheaper than any point-to-point fractional T3 option we looked at.

	-ryan-