[VPN] VPN or SSL?

shannong shannong at texas.net
Sun Dec 1 10:30:51 EST 2002

The 128-bit encryption level of SSL is sufficient in my opinion for data
encryption in most cases.  Although, IPSec provides better data
authenticity services than SSL.  The problem I have with SSL access to
web sites is that the entire Internet will have access to your web
server.  Obviously, hacking into a web server is a trivial thing these
days.  While SSL may provide encryption of your username/password logins
and application data, your security problem will be that a server with
access to privileged data will be an open target to the Internet.

In this scenario, VPNs are better in that a user is authenticated at the
ingress point of the network by a device that has few services to
exploit. (firewall, VPN concentrator, etc).  This means the Internet
never gains access to your web server, only validated users.

Of course, the VPN solution will provide support for your apps that
don't have SSL capability either.

SSL accelerator cards simply terminate the users' SSL session in front
of the web server, and then pass the session along as clear text to the
target web server.  This means the server doesn't have to use up its CPU
doing encryption.  One thing you may want to consider is an SSL
acclerator that authenticates the user and then not allow any HTTP
access to the app servers.  This means that the accelator would be
authenticating users at ingress when starting the SSL session.  In this
way, the Internet at large wouldn't have access to your web servers--
only users already authenticated over SSL.

-Shannon