[vpn] IPSEC vs PPTP/L2TP

meiremania.com johan.meire at rug.ac.be
Tue Apr 9 11:10:38 EDT 2002

Hey all,

A late happy easter to begin with.
As some of you may yet know, I am writing my final scription on vpns
(hopefully to graduate nicely :) )
Now I have chosen to mainly test IPSEC implementations because I only heard
everywhere that IPSEC is better than layer 2 vpns such as pptp and l2tp. Now
actually here is my issue, because i need to explain thoroughly why IPSEC is
the best pic for a freeware (*NIX) vpn solution over the other protocols. So
if anybody has a doc on advantages/disadvantages of the different protocols,
plz let me know. Also personal comments are more than welcome :)

greetz

Johan Meire
student computer sciences