[vpn] L2TP

Kent Dallas kent at dalliesin.com
Tue Oct 30 14:16:27 EST 2001

Chris,

The only "guides how to setup an L2TP tunnel" would be vendor-specific (that
I am aware of).

In the "wild", L2TP normally takes one of three forms:

* L2TP/IPSec, such as the M$ solution in Win2K and XP (and other vendors
interoperating with the native M$ client)

* Compulsory L2TP, such as offered by Network Service Providers (these
implementations are transparent from an end users perspective, and shouldn't
require "how-to" guides, except for the providers themselves)

* Voluntary L2TP, which requires a LAC client and LNS (how-to's should be
found with the vendor of the client and/or server)

Other, more generic, information on L2TP can be found at:

<http://master.math.unibuc.ro/documentatie/network/Building_and_Managing_Vir
tual_Private_Networks-0471295264/ch07/07-01.html#Heading1>

<http://www.ospmag.com/past_issues/features/2000/just_what_is_l2tp_anyway.ht
m>

<http://www.itsecurity.gov.in/vpn/technologies/vpn_overview3.htm#T13>

<http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/tcpip/vpn/redbooks/l2tppres/pd
f/l2tppres.pdf>

<http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/prodlit/l2tun_ds.htm>

<http://www.dalliesin.com/L2_files/frame.htm>

Of course, you can look at the RFCs and I-Ds as well.

And I am not familiar with the marko.net initiative.

I hope something in there is helpful.  Good luck,
Kent Dallas