[vpn] RE: [FW-1] VPN with OSPF for Failover

Stephen Hope stephen.hope at energis.com
Fri Oct 26 04:09:54 EDT 2001

Alberto,

i work as a designer / consultant for a UK reseller of both cisco and nokia
- so i have some bias for this type of project.

1 point - the Nokia running checkpoint does support OSPF.

your friend may be able to extend his VPN to the new site, then interconnect
at the 2 hub point and exchange OSPF routes with the cisco system.

If nothing else this should reduce capital cost and project complexity,
although i think your "all cisco" design could be cheaper in year on year
support charges.

However, the critical bit with a hybrid system is what happens under fault
conditions - the checkpoint topology you describe probably doesnt react
effectively to system faults - you description implies there isnt any
resilience at the moment, whereas a dual centred star type topology can
survive a hub site failure.

If you can make the nokia system reroute around a fault (the major fault to
worry about is failure of a hub site), then the existing VPN will interwork
OK - if you cant resolve that issue then replacement may be the only option.

standing back from this i have 2 comments:

1.	If voice transport is an issue, then the requirement MUST be written
down in the project scope for this migration - your friend should be giving
input to that process. Hopefully, if it isnt, there is some broad comment
somewhere about "maintain existing services and performance"

2.	This is a classic example of a project which needs to be modelled on
a bench before anyone tinkers with the real network - you are not going to
get clear unambiguous known solutions to this unless you "kick the tires"
before you start.

It is possible that the proposal for cisco replacement is there to give
either a worst case cost model, or a system design which reduces skills,
support costs and so on - if you dont know what is important is setting the
project up, and make sure existing requirements are taken into account, then
this migration is going to be difficult.

Finally, check to see if existing uses have been taken into account - Nokia
is often used as a remote access gateway, and a change to cisco may involve
reworking every RAS client to go from checkpoint VPN client to Cisco......

regards

Stephen

Stephen Hope C. Eng, Network Consultant, shope at energis-eis.co.uk,
Energis UK, WWW: http://www.energis.com
Carrington Business Park, Carrington, Manchester , UK. M31 4ZU
Tel: +44 (0)161 776 4194 Mob: +44 (0)7767 256 180 Fax: +44 (0)161 776
4189