[vpn] VPN tunnel termination????

Adam Safier safiera at gss-inc.com
Thu Oct 25 21:57:27 EDT 2001

In the ideal world you would have multiple layers and the VPN device would
pass non-VPN traffic at wire speed. In the real world you don't have the
budget and the VPN device is often dropped in a DMZ, creating routing issues
for the return traffic. Often you end up using NAT on the inside.

There are at least two flavors of VPN, Gateway to Gateway and Client to
Gateway. In many cases the gateway-gateway VPN has only primitive rules for
limiting connections. For example you only get to pick ports and IP's but
lose the option to force user authentication or additional content
filtering. You must do that on from a subsequent firewall. Client to gateway
VPN usually includes authentication options for the users and often can do
other firewall stuff (content filtering). Sometimes the same authentication
mechanism can be used for non-VPN users.

My favorite layout is:

Internet---Router/ACL FW---(Firewall/Gateway-Gateway
VPN)---(Authentication/Client-Gateway VPN)---Internal Firewall---Inside
stuff.

Usually the external router and Gateway-Gateway VPN are rolled into one with
ACLs providing primitive firewalling. The internal firewall and Client VPN
are rolled into a second box.

Internet---(Router/ACL FW/G-G VPN)---(Authentication/C-G
VPN/Firewall)---Inside.

Ideally the internal box has static routes and no routing protocol is
running while the external can have BGP etc.

Your mileage will vary with security policy, budget, politics, vendor and
existing network design.

Adam