[vpn] VPN and firewall question

Christopher Gripp cgripp at axcelerant.com
Tue Oct 9 16:16:41 EDT 2001

Just because the only route the PC has while running the VPN client is
the corp firewall doesn't mean the PC at home is protected by the corp
firewall. That is the old 'if I can't see you, you can't see me' theory
and it sucks.

f it has an Internet connection then it is susceptible to attacks from
others on the Internet.  Period.

A personal FW, software or hardware, is a MUST if you care about being
hacked or DoS'd.  The assumption that there is no way to hack a PC
running a VPN client is not a safe one to make.  You have to consider
the potential risk of information that resides locally on that remote
system.  It isn't necessarily about being able to gain access to the
corporate network as much as obtaining sensitive data from the
compromised PC.  That could be in the form of accounting spreadsheets,
contact lists or any number of proprietary and confidential material a
remote user might save on their system.

Christopher Gripp
Systems Engineer
Axcelerant