[vpn] RE: MTU Problems

Eric Vyncke evyncke at cisco.com
Fri Oct 5 01:11:01 EDT 2001

At 14:33 4/10/2001 +0000, Goldsmith, Eric wrote:

..%<....%<......

>I was in contact with a Yahoo network engineer about this issue some weeks
>ago. He assured me that Yahoo is not blocking such messages and that it is
>likely someone upstream of them (i.e. their provider). The blocking of these
>messages can be caused by many things including misconfigured routers and
>buggy router software.

One common issue on large web site is the load balancing switches or devices.
Those devices usually are not able to handle ICMP directed to the virtual
server. Hence, even if not firewall or no ACL block those ICMP messages,
they are not forwarded by the load balancing switches...

-eric