[vpn] MTU Problems

Eric Vyncke evyncke at cisco.com
Thu Oct 4 05:46:32 EDT 2001

David,

What you are facing is Path MTU Discovery and not RSVP ;-)

The goal is to avoid fragmentation of IP datagrams by 'probing'
the path with IP datagrams whose DF (do not fragment) bit is set
and by listening to ICMP sent by the device refusing to fragment.

The usual caveat is that the ICMP unreachable (not a NACK) is
blocked by a firewall somewhere on the path... another possible
error is that your IPSec device is not able to process ICMP
messages addressed to it (see RFC 2401 for more info).

Workarounds include allowing ICMP unreachable through firewall,
changing the MTU on the servers and/or clients, ...

Just my 0.01 EUR

-eric