[vpn] Cisco 3002 Hardware client and single use passcodes

Yang Lee ylee at net50.com
Mon Oct 1 21:16:22 EDT 2001

1. TACACS+ vs. RADIUS
pro: TACACS+ encrypts both data and password while RADIUS only does
password.
con: RADIUS is considered a more open protocol than TACACS+. For example,
Microsoft is supporting RADIUS in win2k.

2. securID vs. cryptocard
securID is my preference because of its strong encryption. Software itself
was robust and full of features (also bugs). Don't know too much of
cryptocard. Any one mind to comment?

Depend on your environment, if you are an ISP with paid customer, you will
be better off using RADIUS+ (and cryptocard or securID). Because a lot of
billing system support RADIUS better. Otherwise, you may feel better using
TACACS+ (and securID) because of its strong security.

Hope this help.

#Yang Lee                                  #
#Sr. Internet Security Engineer, Net2phone #
#Tel. 973-412-3556                         #
#Email. ylee at net2phone.com                 #
#Disclaimer:                               #
#My opinion here does not represent my     #
#employer's in any way                     #