[vpn] VPN - encryption

Loki loki at fatelabs.com
Fri Nov 16 14:20:16 EST 2001

Ranj,

Heh, uhm emphasis on "a bit about" ;) ... The two don't contradict each
other, rather, encryption is what makes a Virtual Private Network. Based on
the definition: "A Virtual Private Network extends a local area network to a
remote location or traveling user through an encrypted tunnel. Utilizing
different protocols like IKE, hashing algorithms such as Diffie-Helman, and
(3) Triple DES and/or single DES encryption , etc. you accomplish this task.
So you can't exactly have a VPN without encryption :) I hope this helps to
clarify VPNs for you. If not, there are several good whitepapers at
(marketing plug here) www.fatelabs.com and vpnc.org :)

Loki
www.fatelabs.com

On Friday 16 November 2001 12:22 pm, Ranjbar Hassan wrote:
> Hi
> I've read a bit about VPN on different sites. My question is :
> What is the relation between VPN and encryption? Is it possible to
> have VPN without encryption? is encryption with VPN optional or a
> must?
>
> Best regards,
> Ranj
>

> VPN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.com