[vpn] VPN - encryption

Christopher Gripp cgripp at axcelerant.com
Fri Nov 16 13:39:47 EST 2001

The two are independant of eachother.  Although, a VPN without
encryption isn't very secure, it has it's purposes.  Many VPN
implementations include a NULL encryption option.  The most common
encryption used with VPNs is 3DES w/ either MD5 or SHA1 hashing.  I am
starting to see some vendors add AES(Rijndael) to their choice of
algorithms.

Christopher Gripp
Systems Engineer
Axcelerant

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will
surprise you with their ingenuity."

-General George S. Patton