[vpn] VPN - encryption

Irwin Lazar ILazar at tbg.com
Fri Nov 16 13:27:26 EST 2001

The definition of the term "VPN" is probably one of the most convoluted in
al of networking.

By my definition, a VPN is a private tunnel across a public network.  By
that definition frame relay and ATM, as well as MPLS services are all VPNs,
none of which are encrypted.  Others define VPNs as "encrypted" traffic
across a public network, which narrows the definition to describe
technologies such as IPSec, L2TP, etc.

The carriers tend to define their VPN services as being IPSec based, while
they refer to their MPLS-based services as "Private IP."  Have a look at:
http://www.tbg.com/promo/articles/bcr.7.2001.html for more.

So to answer your question, it all depends on how you define a "VPN."

Irwin

------
Irwin Lazar
Senior Consultant, Burton Group