[vpn] Network Neighborhood

dgillett at deepforest.org dgillett at deepforest.org
Tue Nov 13 09:55:16 EST 2001

  WINS doesn't actually have that much to do with browse lists,
except perhaps for the "__MSBROWSE__" entry -- WINS clients *might*
try to use that entry to locate the master browser for their subnet.
If they cannot find a master browser *for their subnet and domain*
that way, the denizens of 192.168.2.x will try to elect one from
among their own number -- of course, if you don't allow broadcast
traffic between them, that can't possibly work.

  In our cases, we found that clients running Windows NT or 2000 got
Network Neighborhood populated reliably when they connected, but
clients running on Windows 95 or 98 rarely did.  But even from the
ones that didn't, we could type "NET USE \\server\SHARENAME"
successfully, indicating that WINS was successfully resolving the
server name.

DG