[vpn] Network Neighborhood

Chuck Renner crenner at dynalivery.com
Mon Nov 12 19:53:46 EST 2001

This isn't so much VPN-specific as it is Windows protocol related, but I
figure someone here will probably know the answer.

VPN clients are using the Cisco VPN 3.x client software to connect to a PIX.
These clients are being assigned addresses from 192.168.2.x.  The local
network is 192.168.1.x.  VPN clients are being passed the correct DNS and
WINS addresses, and the client can connect to any machine on the local
network.  However, clients cannot see any machines in Network Neighborhood.

I was under the impression that WINS allowed browse lists to appear across
subnets.  I was apparently wrong.  Is the only way to have this work to
allow broadcast traffic over the VPN tunnel?

Personally, I'm not too concerned about it, but I want to be prepared in
case the boss asks me a question about it...  :)