[vpn] Securing 802.11b in W2K environment?

Scott Armstrong sailnit at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 2 17:17:49 EST 2001

> My network looks like the following:

I'm sorry, I've picked up on this late.  My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Why not just add a firewall behind your Win2k system.  Load a PPTP server on the Win2k box.  Plug the external interface of the new firewall (you can pick up a 10 node SOHO box for less than $400 these days).  Put the firewall in bridged mode and have it hand out a portion of your DHCP scope to your wireless clients.  Then only allow PPTP from the network behind the new firewall to your PPTP server.  Use 128 bit WEP and MAC ACLs, and you've got a fairly nice solution for the home.  People who break your WEP and spoof your ACLs will then need to break your PPTP too.  It's not perfect, but much better than your neighbor, who they just might go bug instead.

Internet

Win2k (w/ PPTP)

Switch--SOHOFirewall--WirelessLAN

LAN