[vpn] Securing 802.11b in W2K environment?

Kurt Seifried bugtraq at seifried.org
Thu Nov 1 20:06:56 EST 2001

> Now that the WEP security of 802.11b has been shown to be broken and
> exploitable, I have seen lots of articles on the net about how
> people are securing their wireless solutions using virtual private
> network technology.
>
> Only problem though is that all the articles I have found talk about
> people using OpenBSD, Linux, and other non-MS operating systems.
>
> I run Windows 2000 Professional on all my PC's. What is the most
> intuitive and cost effective way I can truly secure my 802.11b wireless
> products??

Simple. Use Windows 2000 built in-support for IPSec. Simply firewall
everything from the wireless LAN except for protocols 50 and 51 (IPSec AH
and ESP) to your IPsec server, thus people have to talk IPSec with your
ipsec server to do anything. You can use strong auth (Win2k does kerberos)
and off you go.

Kurt Seifried, kurt at seifried.org
A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574