ISDN/ADSL line for VPN access.

Heng Lee Chin hleechin at dso.org.sg
Mon May 14 23:59:24 EDT 2001

Hi,
Thank you for all the valuable information on ISDN/ADSL line for VPN
access.
The answer is YES and the information that I gathered are as followed:

1.  The ISDN/ADSL line must has a static IP address from the ISP, then
we can get a hardware VPN gateway with built in ISDN or ADSL modem for
the setup. In this way, the connection should be up and no OS and client
site modifications are required.
2. Netscreen, Lucent pipeline, Safepipe are some of the VPN gateways
with ISDN modem.
3. For software VPN gateway such as FreeS/WAN and KAME, then we need to
put a ISDN/ADSL modem in before the VPN gateway. If the connection is
via ISP, then I think no modification is required for the OS and the
connection should be up as usual. However, if for intranet, then I am
not sure any  OS kernel modification or additional software is required
to set the ISDN connection to be always on at the VPN gateway side.

Comments and feedback are welcome and please correct me if I am wrong.

If you have any valuable information on the above topics, I am very
interested to know.

Currently, I am trying out using the Safepipe VPN gateway for ISDN
access implementation.

Cheers,
Jane
DSO/ISL Singapore