RE: VPN Endpoint security

Byron Kennedy byron at MARKETTOOLS.COM
Wed Mar 28 12:56:41 EST 2001

Netscreen has a client side software firewall?  That's news.  I'm only aware
of the IPSec client that they oem from IRE, also discussed thoroughly  on
this list in the past week.  Do you have a link for this?

Over the next month, we're going to be looking at Symantec's personal
firewall, NetICE, PGP desktop, and Zonealarm's new version soon to be
released.

Question:

We're going to be testing ourselves, but am curious, has anyone out there
had experience using PGP desktop as an IPSec client connecting to the
Netscreen family in tunnel mode?  If this is successful that would be a big
plus for the PGP desktop investment.

cheers.byron

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Gripp [mailto:cgripp at axcelerant.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 8:28 PM
To: Byron Kennedy; VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: RE: VPN Endpoint security

I personally don't have experience with it but has anyone used the symantec
personal firewall?  Do they have an enterprise management app for it like
the MMC for AntiVirus?  It might be worth checking out.

Professionally, it is those reasons exactly that, as a company, we only
manage vpn's where the end user has a physical device such as the Netscreen
or Redcreek or the like.  It gives us a very clear point of ownership, is
very scalable and requires no applications to be installed on the PC, which
can be very cumbersome to manage.  It is true the upfront hardware cost is
higher.  But I feel the longterm cost is less with a hardware solution.  One
problem is the travelling road warrior.  They need a solution too.  Both
vendors I mentioned above do make their own software client for that
solution though.

Christopher S. Gripp
Systems Engineer
Axcelerant