VPN, Mac and PPPoE?

Jensen, Greg Greg_Jensen at NAI.COM
Wed Mar 21 17:06:59 EST 2001

Well, if IPsec falls in at a later date as a requirement, there is the PGP
VPN client for the Mac.  MacWorld Utility of the year.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Russell [mailto:ryan at SECURITYFOCUS.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 5:05 PM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: VPN, Mac and PPPoE?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Philip Decter wrote:

> I need to make a VPN connection to my work and am running into a
> problem.  I use a Mac, and am using a commercial earthlink ADSL for my
> internet access.  Earthlink gives us a modem and a PPPoE dialer
> (MacPoet) to make the connection.  I am looking for a VPN application
> that will work on the Mac with the PPPoE.
>
> While I have had some success using NTS Tunnel Builder as my VPN on my
> Mac laptop when I use a 56K dial up, I have not found anything that will
> work with the PPPoE and DSL.

I've used VTCP/Secure from Infoexpress on a PPPoE connection just fine,
though that was on the Windows platform.  No reason why the Mac version
shouldn't work, too.

Of course, what clients you get to choose from is totally dependent on
what you're trying to connect to at the other end.  Do you get to pick
both ends, or is the other end already running something?

					Ryan